Nanga Parbat, search and rescue flight for Daniele Nardi and Tom Ballard postponed to tomorrow
Alex Txikon has announced that he has identified two silhouettes on Nanga Parbat with a telescope from base camp. The helicopters, however, failed to fly to Base Camp today and the search and rescue operations have been postponed until tomorrow, weather permitting.
Update at 20:30 on Friday 8/03/2019
Even today, unfortunately, no news from Nanga Parbat. The helicopters that should have flown to the Base Camp and then up the Mummery Rib to evaluate the images of two silhouettes seen by the Alex Txikon through his telescope, could not take off for technical reasons.
The last update from Daniele Nardi's team on his FB page was published 10 hours ago and reads as follows: "The Pakistani aviation is solving technical problems on its helicopters, as soon as they are resolved they will be ready for take-off from Skardu to Nanga Parbat. They will stop at the village of Ser to pick up the rescue team and proceed to reconnaissance the area around the Mummery Spur, where Alex reported he had identified two silhouettes. At the end of the flight the team will assess the situation together with the pilots in order to understand how to proceed."
Published on 07/03/2019
It has been an intense day on Nanga Parbat where the search for missing mountaineers Daniele Nardi and Tom Ballard has proceeded relentlessly. In the early hours this morning Daniele Nardi's team announced on his FB page that yesterday the Spaniard Alex Txikon "identified two silhouettes on the mountain" from Base Camp using a telescope.
Helicopters were scheduled to arrive early this morning but unfortunately due to the military tensions between Pakistan and India this did not occur. The FB page stated "Unfortunately today the helicopters did not manage to reach Nanga Parbat base camp because they were diverted to a different military target. We have been forced to postpone the scheduled operations from today to tomorrow, hoping that the weather and military will allow for a flight to Nanga Parbat, Alex Txikon and his entire team have reached the village of Ser where they will spend the night and will be picked up directly by the helicopters."
Tomorrow the helicopters should reach Nanga Parbat therefore, weather conditions permitting.