Hans Kammerlander abandons K2
Bad weather forces Hans Kammerlander to abandon ascent
|19/07/00 (info Sigi Pircher) |
After 22 days of continuous snowfall Hans Kammerlander has decided not to continue his ascent of K2 and has now left Base Camp for Rawalpindi, Pakistan. A new bad weather front is predicted within the area shortly, indicating the start of this year's monsoon season.
Kammerlander had succeeded in installing a tent at 7000m and another at 8100m during brief spells of good weather. Climbing along the difficult Cesen route, he had left a pair of skis in the second tent for his planned ski descent from the summit. Unfortunately this is the second time that difficult weather conditions have forced him to turn back close to the summit.
19/07/00 (info Manuel Lugli, Focus expeditions)
The weather forecast for K2 for the following two days is as follows:
Extremely unsettled weather will bring heavier snowfall than predicted. The satellite photo shows the Karakorum covered in dense clouds. The monsoon, which is already raging in India and Nepal, is now moving quickly towards Pakistan.
Wednesday, 19 July 2000. Varied weather with cloud cover and brief clear skies. Light snowfall at altitude with a slight increase in temperatures. Zero degrees at 4600m.
Thursday, 20 and Friday, 21 July 2000. Clearer skies and increased night temperatures. These improved conditions could remain until Saturday.
There are still some mountaineers at Base Camp waiting for the weather to improve. The Brazilian Waldemar Niclevicz will make another summit bid only if stable weather is forecast for a longer period.
Hans Kammerlander descending K2 after his unsuccessful summit bid in 1999.
Photo Manuel Lugli