Cochamo Valley Chile: new climbs by Austrian dream team
In December 2008 the Austrians David Lama, Barbara Bacher, Katharina Saurwein, Hansjörg Auer, Heiko Wilhelm and Dutchman Jorg Verhoeven travelled to Cochamo Valley in Chile and climbed a series of new routes in this granite valley.
We currently have little information to go by, but nevertheless we've decided to share this brief new report with you in the hope that we'll be able to share more information in the future: at the end of 2008 an Austrian dream team comprised of David Lama, Barbara Bacher, Katharina Saurwein, Hansjörg Auer, Heiko Wilhelm and Dutchman Jorg Verhoeven travelled to Cochamo Valley in Chile to forge some new routes up the immense granite walls.
What is striking is that - apart from Hansjörg Auer - these climbers are famous above all for their performances plastic (Verhoeven had just won the Lead World Cup 2008, Lama was Bouldering and Lead World Champion in 2007 etc) and seeing them on expeditions and not at the crag is something fairly unheard of. However things may be, experience has shown that whenever these competition athletes decided to transport their strength and fitness onto rock, the result is always impressive. This was certainly the case in the "Yosemite Valley of South America" where the six climbers managed the following first ascents, using a mix of nuts, normal pegs and, where necessary, bolts. We hope to provide you with more information in the future about the "tiring days in untouched nature."
Cochamo Valley first ascents
- Meataholic (7c+, 450m) Trinidad Sur: first ascent Hansjörg Auer, David Lama & Heiko Wilhelm;
- The Dutch Corner (7c, 550m) Cerro Trinidad: first ascent Katharina Saurwein & Jorg Verhoeven;
- Robinson Crusoe (7b / 7a oblig., 700+ m) Elifante: first ascent Barbara Bacher, Katharina Saurwein, Jorg Verhoeven;
- Footsy Variation - (8a, +/- 1040m) Cerro Trinidad: free version of Mucho Mucho El Granito, first ascent Katharina Saurwein & David Lama;
- Somedays Twice (7c, 440m) Cerro Laguna: first ascent Barbara Bacher & Hansjörg Auer.